Types of hosting services
A hosting service applies to stockpiling and/or sharing particular content on a server handled by a web hosting provider. There are various classes of hosting services used for different ends, so let's take a peek at these. In this way, you can elect what you want, based on whether you'd like to have a web portal, mailbox accounts, or to share files with mates and colleagues.
- File hosting: a solution delivered by given providers, which lets you share huge files. These could be disk images, movies, audio files, archived files, and so on. This solution is also known as file storage, and its single aim is to share files, since it does not support web page uploading. Once the files are uploaded, you will either receive a randomly generated download link for each of them, or you will be able to survey a register of all the files in a directory, but you will not be able to view .html or .php web files in your browser. Free-of-charge file hosting plans frequently include advertisements next to the download links, while a timer forces you to wait for a given period of time to see them. A single file can be downloaded with restricted speed. If you get a paid file hosting package, there are no restrictions as to how many files you can upload/download immediately, and also there is no restriction as far as the download speed and the file size are concerned.
Now, with the help of the cPanel hosting companies, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more faddish "cloud hosting". This is an entirely distorted interpretation of the literal definition of "cloud hosting". An actual cloud website hosting environment would assign the load between autonomous groups of servers in a cluster, which are committed to serving different site hosting services (electronic mail, disk space, statistics, DNS, databases, hosting Control Panel, etc.) So, the file hosting service is only a sort of a disk space hosting solution, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even near.
- Image hosting: similar to file hosting; certain companies offer a hosting solution for pictures only. This hosting variant is appropriate if you desire to share a great number of pics with mates or partners since the service is commonly free of charge. You will receive a randomly generated link for each pic or album and you can subsequently share this link. As with the file storage solution, .html and .php files are not supported, so the service cannot be utilized for web sites.
- E-mail hosting: a service committed to taking care of your e-mail box accounts. Some firms provide site hosting services for sites, but do not supply an e-mail hosting solution. If you want to keep an email address with your domain name but do not want to have a web site, then the email hosting service is what you need. You can set up e-mail address accounts and manage them, but there will be no web solution for the domains. The e-mail hosting service includes incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP email servers.
- Video hosting: this solution enables you to upload and share video clips. You can either share a link to some video file, or you can embed the video in your website that is hosted elsewhere. The advantage of utilizing this method in lieu of uploading the video in a web hosting account is that the video clip generates a certain amount of central processing unit load, so with several videos and a few hundred web page visitors, you may have a hard time with your webspace hosting reserves. Embedding the video will allow you to operate as many video clips as you desire without hassling about system quotas.
- Website hosting: this is the service that you need if you want to have a website. To some extent, it involves all of the aforesaid hosting types since, along with your sites, you can also host images and files, you can have databases and mail aliases, upload video files, etc. At Lonex, for instance, you can take a look at web hosting and dedicated hosting services that allow you to get all of the aforesaid solutions in one single place. There may be limitations depending on the type of hosting solution that you've picked - a free hosting package, a paid shared hosting package, a VPS or a dedicated server. Based on that, your web page hosting plan may be better or worse compared to the regular e-mail/file/video/image hosting plans that are planned for particular content only.